For those of you who were not able to join us, here is a brief summary of the meeting:
- The membership voted to approve our Proposed Budget, Records Retention plan, and second Tax Free day of 2021, and to adopt the Financial Reconciliation Committee report as presented.
- Second Chance Spirit Wear Sale – online sale from Friday, September 3rd through Wednesday, September 15th. Don’t miss this last chance to order items from our 2021-22 Spirit Wear line, tax-free!
- Membership – we currently have 479 members, making us eligible for the Head Start Award. Help us to win the Early Bird Achievement Award and reach 100% of last year’s total membership – 599 members by September 29th! Membership is important to give TX PTA a strong voice!
- Fundraisers – we continue with Amazon Smile, grocery stores, and the World Wear Bin Fundraiser, and are having Restaurant Nights this year. First one is September 17th at Panda Express!
- School & Academic Enhancements – Schimelpfenig has asked PTA to provide Math manipulatives and materials for all grade levels, headphones for Special Ed classes, and a new bench for the front of the school.
- Goals for the year
- Increase membership – 599 members last year, we just need one more to make it 600. Also, have 100% staff members (Golden Apple Award) and 25 student members (Student Membership Award).
- Host at least two Parent programs and two student programs this year.
- Work with Schimelpfenig staff to plan a Diversity Day for students in the spring.
- Highlights from Ms. Kinnard’s talk and question session:
- People first
- Relationships are the foundation
- Sense of belonging is important
- Address the whole child
- Family and Community – take care of each other
- Little things matter!
- Areas of focus
- Build relationships
- Create opportunities for students to socialize and interact
- Teach students to “do school” again
- Health & Safety – be safe at school, masks with opt-out, no large in-person gatherings for first nine weeks, Covid letters currently going to specific people based on classroom exposure
- Badges required of all middle school students in PISD – must be worn every day and be visible – if lost, stolen, or damaged, cost to replace is $5
- Panther Pride Time – Daily for 30 minutes, extension of 4th period – Advisory time – Activities will include Social Emotional Learning, team-building, life skills, club meetings, academic enrichment targeted to each student's needs.
- She is always available by email or phone. Telephone best!
Don’t forget to stay connected by continuing to visit our Facebook page and our website at smspta.org. As always, feel free to contact me any time at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, problems, or if you just want to join our wonderful SMS PTA Board!