Beginning September 14, Plano ISD’s Parent Education & Engagement Program (PEEP) will host 30-minute "Lunch and Learn" parent sessions for Plano ISD families on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:15-12:45 p.m. on Facebook Live. Log on to join Plano ISD parent educators and other parents to explore evidence-based positive parenting strategies as a community. The first few sessions will focus on Dan Siegel's book "Whole Brain Child".
JOIN THE AWARD-WINNING SMS PTA FOR 2021-2022!
We have the 4th largest increase in membership in all of Texas!
Support the SMS students and teachers by showing that you value your child’s education by joining the PTA. Memberships start at less than $12 and students are only $5 with a parent membership! As a benefit to members only, you will have access to an online directory as well as PTA member discounts. Student members receive special discounts during our spring and fall socials and have the opportunity to be involved in leadership opportunities.
1. Donate to the PTA online!
Your generous TAX-DEDUCTIBLE donation will fund programs, social events, and classroom materials for students as well as SMS staff wish list items.
We thank you in advance for your contributions!
Please visit here to donate online!
2. You just keep shopping – let these stores do the donating for you!
Visit our Fundraising Page here for more information.
Link your Kroger or Tom Thumb rewards cards to Schimelpfenig to help our school raise money. The stores will donate a percentage back to the school help show their support for the local communities.
- Kroger Community Rewards Program
- Tom Thumb Good Neighbor Program
- Office Depot
- Box Tops
- Amazon Smile – Same products and prices as Amazon. Their foundation matches a percentage of your purchases to donate to nonprofits like our school! So easy and you are helping by shopping.
3. World Wear Project – Clean out your clutter of old toys, kitchen items, unused towels and bedding and of course CLOTHES! Bring them up to the BIG BLUE Bin located in the west parking lot.
Set up and register a local cleanup on September 18th!
Thank you to everyone who attended our PTA General Assembly Meeting and Virtual Coffee with the Principal on Thursday morning. Special thank you to our principal, Ms. Kinnard for speaking with us!
- The membership voted to approve our Proposed Budget, Records Retention plan, and second Tax Free day of 2021, and to adopt the Financial Reconciliation Committee report as presented.
- Second Chance Spirit Wear Sale – online sale from Friday, September 3rd through Wednesday, September 15th. Don’t miss this last chance to order items from our 2021-22 Spirit Wear line, tax-free!
- Membership – we currently have 479 members, making us eligible for the Head Start Award. Help us to win the Early Bird Achievement Award and reach 100% of last year’s total membership – 599 members by September 29th! Membership is important to give TX PTA a strong voice!
- Fundraisers – we continue with Amazon Smile, grocery stores, and the World Wear Bin Fundraiser, and are having Restaurant Nights this year. First one is September 17th at Panda Express!
- School & Academic Enhancements – Schimelpfenig has asked PTA to provide Math manipulatives and materials for all grade levels, headphones for Special Ed classes, and a new bench for the front of the school.
- Goals for the year
- Increase membership – 599 members last year, we just need one more to make it 600. Also, have 100% staff members (Golden Apple Award) and 25 student members (Student Membership Award).
- Host at least two Parent programs and two student programs this year.
- Work with Schimelpfenig staff to plan a Diversity Day for students in the spring.
- Highlights from Ms. Kinnard’s talk and question session:
- People first
- Relationships are the foundation
- Sense of belonging is important
- Address the whole child
- Family and Community – take care of each other
- Little things matter!
- Areas of focus
- Build relationships
- Create opportunities for students to socialize and interact
- Teach students to “do school” again
- Health & Safety – be safe at school, masks with opt-out, no large in-person gatherings for first nine weeks, Covid letters currently going to specific people based on classroom exposure
- Badges required of all middle school students in PISD – must be worn every day and be visible – if lost, stolen, or damaged, cost to replace is $5
- Panther Pride Time – Daily for 30 minutes, extension of 4th period – Advisory time – Activities will include Social Emotional Learning, team-building, life skills, club meetings, academic enrichment targeted to each student's needs.
- She is always available by email or phone. Telephone best!
Don’t forget to stay connected by continuing to visit our Facebook page and our website at smspta.org. As always, feel free to contact me any time at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, problems, or if you just want to join our wonderful SMS PTA Board!
Show your Schimelpfenig school pride! Order your spirit wear today!
Pre-order your Spirit Wear from Friday, September 3rd through Wednesday, September 15th at 11:59 pm. Sizes Youth Large through Adult XL are available in each style. If you are interested in larger sizes, please contact us at email@example.com to see what we have in stock.
Distribution information will be announced at a later date.
Mark your calendars! Our first PTA General Assembly meeting will take place on Thursday, September 2nd at 9:00 a.m. Grab a cup of coffee and join SMS PTA and our guest speaker, Principal Kristen Kinnard, to vote on our budget and discuss plans for this year! Please sign up HERE.
National PTA Executive Director Nathan R. Monell, CAE will be participating in a virtual town hall with the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Tuesday, Aug. 31 at 5:45 p.m. CST on "Prioritizing Safety For Students and Staff Amid New COVID-19 Surge." Check it out.
First Lady Dr. Jill Biden will be joining National PTA's Back to Class Virtual Town Hall to bring special greetings to kick off the new school year.
Use #PTABacktoSchool on social media to join the conversation!
TikTok recently announced new youth safety features and steps they're taking to protect teens on the platform. Learn more on their Newsroom.
- Parent and Family Engagement Program -- PISD offers many in-person and virtual classes to parents. Topics range from how to use the Parent Portal to Dealing with Sibling Rivalry and Adult ESL classes. Check out the calendar of classes with the QR code or at: https://tinyurl.com/mzwjups or download the flyer here.
- The Plano ISD Board of Trustees held an Emergency Meeting on August 23rd in which they approved a measure to temporarily require indoor masking at all Plano ISD schools, facilities and district-provided transportation. This temporary measure will be effective through Friday, September 24, or until there is further guidance on GA-38 as a result of ongoing state and federal litigation or legislative action. Parents were provided an option to request an exemption for their student and the results of those requests are shared via a Mask Exemptions Dashboard. Families who missed the August 25 deadline to request an exemption can work with their campuses to submit a request.
- Check the Plano ISD COVID Case Dashboard to keep up-to-date on reported cases.
- Tuesday, October 5
- Thursday, October 7
- Monday, October 11
- Tuesday, October 12
- Wednesday, October 13
- Thursday, October 14
- Monday, October 18
- Tuesday, October 19
- Wednesday, October 20
The mission of Plano ISD's Family Education and Guidance Services is to strengthen all families in the community by providing education, resources and services which support raising responsible, self-confident, emotionally healthy children in today's complex society. Please visit HERE to gain access to PISD supports that you and your family may wish to utilize throughout the year!
DISCLAIMER: The Schimelpfenig Middle School PTA is a noncommercial, nonsectarian, nonpartisan association that does not endorse any candidate or political party. This PTA does not endorse non-PTA products or services. If you have a concern, please contact a member of the PTA Executive Board.